This week you will prepare a Cause and Effect Essay (assignment directions are in the Topic 4 Folder). Watch the local news or go online and read news as presented….
Business Information Architecture
BB7201 Business Information Architecture.
Comprises of two parts. Both parts must be submitted in the form of ONE business report.
Assessment Part 1.
The Task 50%
This individual assignment requires you to critically evaluate an online retailer of your choice and analyse how its EIA supports its business objectives. You may investigate which Information Systems (IS) and Technologies are currently used in that organisation or being planned in the future.
You will need to consider the positioning and Resource Based View of the organisation and identify how IT supports (or not) its strategic business objectives. You may wish to discuss the level of IT systems used (e.g. organisational, departmental, individual), and the perspective (i.e. consider the relevant stakeholders; users, managers, developers or consultants) and any features of the particular culture/environment.
The Reading List provided for the module should offer you some guidance on possible research approaches that you may adopt (NB There is no one right approach, so you may select, with clear justification, any approach that you feel is appropriate for the problem under examination).
A 2000 (maximum) word report, which should focus on business benefits for an organisation, and may contain supporting material as Appendices*.The report should include:
• a one page Executive Summary (indicating report aims, approach and findings). This is a standalone and concise summary of the whole paper, which is understandable without reference to the rest of the paper.
• a brief review of the current situation/background regarding the topic
• a clear methodology section outlining project aims/objectives and how the study was undertaken (with justification)
• a critical evaluation of the EIA strategy in business rather than technical terms
• clear statement of findings
• use of figures or tables to summarise points and aid readability
• a clear and comprehensive set of appropriate references (produced to academic journal standard using Harvard Referencing style)
(* not included in word count)
Marking Criteria are shown in attached Table, but you should also include:
• A clear and logical document structure, emphasising business/IT alignment
• A critical rather than descriptive stance
• Justification for statements made e.g. logical reasoning rather than unsupported statements, such as ‘this will be a good thing’
• Professional standards of presentation e.g. page numbering, spell checking, correct grammatical sentence construction, proof reading, clear list of references and neat page layout, with appropriate use of figures and tables. You should not use the first person in preparing the report.
Assessment Part 2.
The Task 50%
Based on the analysis conducted in Part 1, this assignment requires you to use the WordPress environment to develop a working eCommerce application which simulates an online retail operation. The style of presentation is left to your choice. It is recommended that you use the plugin WP e-Commerce (Note that when you install the WP e-Commerce plugin into WordPress you will find full documentation on how to use the plugin) as the foundation for this exercise, although you can use another plugin as foundation for the application if you wish. Whichever plugin you choose to use it must be enhanced by using other plugins to improve the application’s functionality. This could be via plugins which allow the application to:
• Track user access;
• Use a gallery for product images;
• Offer loyalty rewards to customers;
• Offer social media connectivity;
• Offer the customer a questionnaire;
• Offer HELP to new customers;
• Generate invoices.
This list is not exhaustive so you can be as creative as you wish. Credit will be given for the amount of innovation shown in your final application.
Your submitted assignment should include the following (1000 words maximum):
1. A report which discusses the specification, design and implementation of your application;
2. A User Guide;
3. A disc or pen-drive containing your wordpress subdirectory with your application plus an exported wordpress database in an .sql file.
Both part 1 and 2 must be submitted in the form of a SINGLE final business report
Marking Criteria: Business Report
Criteria 70+ % 60% – 69% 50%-59% Below 50%
Meeting Objectives of Exercise Fully justified topic. Aims and questions excellently articulated and reviewed, within a business context and within academic debate. Addressed the purpose of the exercise, coherently with some imagination and within a business/organisational context. Most of the work is focused on the aims and themes of the exercise. Fails to address the task set.
Academic Theory or Literature Review Critical review of theory or literature on BIA. Very good review of theory or literature on IS evaluation Good review of theory or literature on BIA. List of sources, rather than review.
Critical Analysis Shows a thorough, polished and imaginative approach to the topic. Strong use of academic models. Carefully and logically organised.
Use of academic models. Good attempt to organise in a logical manner. Disorganised and/or incoherent analysis.
Structure and Relevance Well justified selection of method, including reviewing alternatives. Justifies approach taken. Findings accurately analysed, reported clearly and fluently in relation to organisational context. Discussed approach taken.
Meaning usually apparent but language not always fluent. Meaning unclear and language not fluent.
Presentation Excellent standard of presentation, structure and written style.
Excellent use of figures, diagrams.
Exemplary grammar, spelling and proof-reading. Very good presentation. Very good use of figures, diagrams.
Grammar and spelling accurate.
Evidence of proof-reading. Good presentation.
Grammar and/or spelling contain some errors.
Some evidence of proof-reading. Unprofessional presentation.
Frequent grammar and/or spelling errors.
Referencing Referencing is consistently accurate in line with normal academic standards. Referencing is mainly accurate, although some inconsistencies. Some attempt at referencing. Referencing is absent and/or unsystematic.
Could you please use graph and tables where appropriate.
This coursework is business, IT and e-commerce related.
Moreover, please make sure that part one and two are in separate papers, however they must be related to each other.