Demonstrate your understanding of Assembly in relation to other languages, your ability to apply existing ARM64 assembly mnemonics and techniques to a specific purpose, and to demonstrate the ability to….
explain how your work on this project relates to your responsibility to help the company achieve its IT security goals.
Project Part 3: System Hardening and Auditing
Fullsoft’s chief technology officer (CTO) established a plan to mitigate risks, threats, and vulnerabilities. As part of the mitigation plan, you and your team members will configure baseline security controls on all workstations (harden the systems), which run either Windows 7 or Windows 10. For this effort, you will ensure that the antivirus software is running properly and implement a control related to password-hacking attempts.In addition, Fullsoft’s CTO has asked your team to pay special consideration to continuously monitoring, testing, and improving countermeasures. The CTO points out that within the first 24 hours of configuring baseline security, you may sometimes receive alerts that malware has been quarantined within an antivirus program or notice a failed logon attempt captured by the Windows audit log. In response, you make a note to check the security of the workstation for which you will configure baseline security.The CTO also requests a report on the work you performed, part of which will be incorporated into the company’s IT security policy procedures. The report should also include the purposes of system hardening and auditing, and an additional area of concern or emerging trend related to information systems security that’s relevant to Fullsoft.At the end of the report, include a brief statement that explains how your work on this project relates to the larger responsibility you have for supporting the company’s success regarding IT security. Your statement will be considered a part of your upcoming performance review.
If possible, complete the hardening and auditing tasks using a personal computer with the default installation of Windows 7 or Windows 10. If you do not own the necessary hardware and software, consult with your instructor about alternatives. After your work on this project is complete, you may need to return the settings to the previous configuration.
- Ensure that you are logged in as an administrator. Using a computer that has Windows 7 or Windows 10 installed:
- Review the antivirus program. Ensure that it is up to date, is configured for automatic updates, and is scheduled to run quick scans regularly. Note when the last full system scan was run and any issues you observe with the software.
- Configure audit logging to identify all failed password attempts into the system.
- After at least 24 hours, check the Windows workstation for security events. Be sure to review the audit log in Windows Event Viewer.
- Write a report in which you:
- Explain how you ensured the antivirus program is up to date, scheduled to run regular quick scans, and when the last full system scan was run. Describe anything significant you observed.
- Explain how you configured audit logging to record all failed password attempts into the system.
- Describe all the potentially problematic security events that occurred in the 24-hour period after checking the antivirus software and configuring audit logging.
Project: Information Systems Security
Explain what was done (or should be done) to correct any problems encountered.
Explain the purposes of system hardening and auditing in terms of the company’s goal of maintaining information systems security. Also describe an additional area of concern or an emerging trend related to information systems security that you think warrants the company’s attention in the immediate future. Discuss some relevant hardening guidance Fullsoft could implement.
Briefly explain how your work on this project relates to your responsibility to help the company achieve its IT security goals.
- Textbook for this course
- A Windows 7 or Windows 7 computer, preferably with a default installation
- Internet access
- Audit logon events
- How to See Who Logged Into a Computer and When
- Event Logs
- Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems
- Format: Microsoft Word or compatible
- Font: APA Format
- Citation Style: APA Format
- Submit in the Group Project Part 3 Assignment
- Name the document Group-project-part-3
- Length: 5–6 pages plus citation page
- Include relevant screenshots
You are encouraged to respond creatively, but you must cite credible sources to support your work.
- I summarized the system-hardening and auditing configuration steps I implemented on a computer using Windows 7 or Windows 10, including:
- How I ensured the antivirus software is running properly
- How I configured audit logging of all failed password attempts
- I described potentially problematic security events that occurred within a 24-hour period, and noted actions that were taken (or should be taken) to address them.
- I explained the purposes of system hardening and auditing in terms of the company’s overarching goal of maintaining information systems security.
- I proposed at least one area of concern or emerging trend related to information systems security that warrants additional attention.
- I explained how my work on this project relates to my professional responsibility to help the company achieve its IT security goals.
- I conducted adequate independent research for this part of the project.
- I followed the submission guidelines.