|HIS-144: The Development of the American Economy
Directions: Respond to the five questions below using resources from the Topic 4 Readings, including your textbook, materials provided by your instructor through class discussion, and materials from the GCU Library Guide for HIS-144 US History Themes.
The overall assignment must include three to five relevant scholarly sources in support of your content.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Wikipedia, Ask.com, ehow.com and other online information sites, encyclopedias, or dictionaries are not considered university academic sources and are NOT TO BE USED.
1. Explain Henry Clay’s American System. How did this promote a spirit of nationalism in America? (100-200 words)
2. Discuss America’s transportation revolution in the first half of the 1800s. What role did government play in the development of roads, canals, railroads, and steamboats? (100-200 words)
3. Identify three major industries (not including the railroad) of America’s Industrial Revolution after the Civil War. What made the men who controlled them so successful? (150-200 words)
4. Explain the importance of the transcontinental railroad. In what ways did the transcontinental railroad change America? (100-200 words)
5. Explain the origins and growth of early labor unions in the United States. In what way did they change America? (150-200 words)