The required readings are: Monishipouri, Human Rights in the Middle East, Part II, chapter 6 Chase, Routledge Handbook, Part I, chapter 8 After reading those chapter, Themes, Questions and Independent Research Summarize the….
Persuasive Essay Assignment
The purpose of the Persuasive Essay assignment is to choose a topic that has some debatable issue. You will then take a position on that issue and write a 2 full page Persuasive Essay trying to influence your audience to accept or agree with your position on this issue.
Here are the details:
1. Read the Lecture Notes in Unit 5 on persuasive writing. Also, especially read Chapter 10.9 in the online text for ideas on how to construct an approach persuasive writing. Here is the link to that chapter:
https://open.lib.umn.edu/writingforsuccess/chapter/10-9-persuasion/ (Links to an external site.)
While all the information in this chapter can be helpful, what is especially helpful is the information under the heading “Writing a Persuasive Essay.”
2. Choose a topic. Your topic will be on some issue of debate where you are able to take a side on that issue.
3. Unlike the previous two unit essays, there is no required outline or pattern that you have to use for organizing this essay. However, you will want to plan your organization so your ideas connect and make sense to the reader. You may use either of the patterns from the previous two units. Also, you may look at the different patterns presented in Chapter 10 for ideas. As a bit of advice, the structure is shown in Chapter 10.9 under the heading “Structure of a Persuasive Essay” is a helpful model to look at.
4. Since this essay is more persuasive instead of argumentative, you do not have to do any formal research, but you should have explanations and support for any positions you offer. Explanations and support convince the audience logically that your position is correct. Just saying ‘because I want it’ or ‘because I think so’ or ‘that is the way it has always been done’ does not create a persuasive essay.
5. The essay will be at least two full pages long but no more than three pages. You will use the MLA formatting guidelines that you used in the previous essays: Times New Roman in 12-point font.
6. Include a title for your essay.
7. After writing the essay, be sure to take time to read it several times for revision and editing. It would be helpful to have at least one other person proofread it as well before submitting the assignment.