Part I: Essay Write an essay on the first 10 Constitutional Amendments. Your essay must include the following for each amendment: Explain each individual amendment and the liberties they grant…..
- Assignment 1: First Paper
Due Week 5 and worth 100 points
Choose ONE (1) of the categories listed below to focus on for this First Paper assignment. For your topic you must demonstrate knowledge of the terms and concepts of Chapter 1 and incorporate them into your paper.
- Write a paper in which you compare and contrast two (2) major Eastern religions (Hinduism; Buddhism; Taoism; Confucianism; Shinto) Begin your project with a clear and focused thesis statement. Address the origins, region, main leaders, the particular teachings/philosophies, rituals, scriptures, holidays/holy days, and impact of the religions. Use the categories and terms from chapter 1 in your descriptions of the religions.
- Write a paper in which you feature a dialogue between Confucius and The Buddha. Begin your project with a clear and focused thesis statement. Address these points: origin/birth; what led to their ethical system; what is their ethical system; what was the reaction to their new concepts. Compare and contrast their teachings/philosophies. Use the terms and concepts from Chapter 1 to illuminate your dialogue.
- Write a paper presenting a visual report on two (2) Eastern religions sites nearby (an alternative for those in rural places would be to do an Internet search of two (2) religious locations). Begin your project with a clear and focused thesis statement. Look at architecture, interior space, etc. Include visuals to illustrate your points. How do these reflect the definitions and terms of Chapter 1, and what we have learned about these religions?
- Conduct an extensive interview with a person who practices Eastern religions and write a paper presenting the results of this interview. Begin your project with a clear and focused thesis statement. Use these questions in your interview: How did you become associated with this religion? What is it about this religion that intrigues you? Is it difficult to practice your faith? What readings/scriptures do you use? What are some rituals you perform? What holy days/holidays do you keep? What would you like your neighbors/colleagues to know about your faith? Use the definitions and categories of religion from Chapter 1 to guide the interview.
- Write a paper that explores Indigenous religions. After an introduction with a clear and focused thesis statement, set up a three-columned chart: one column for the basic elements of religion; one for Indigenous religions, and one for the Eastern religion of your choice (there are at least three that have Indigenous components/roots). Choose what you believe are at least the five (5) basic elements of a religion, then see if they are in Indigenous religions and an Eastern religion. Summarize your results in a concluding paragraph and address these questions: Based on the terms and definitions of Chapter 1, are indigenous religions really religions? Using the information from Chapter 2, did you find any indigenous religious elements in Eastern religions?
- Write a paper that explores religion in the news. Find an extensive news story on one Eastern religion or Indigenous religion. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Using 5 (five) terms and concepts from Chapter 1 and pertinent chapters from Fisher, interpret that story for people at a family gathering by explaining how it relates to the basic tenets of that faith tradition.
- Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Use at least three (3) quality resources as references for the assignment and document your sources using SWS Style for in-text citations and references. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Write clearly and coherently using correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics.
- Your assignment must meet these requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different from other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine how the world views of major religions compare to each other and their impacts on society.
- Outline the world views of major religions.