Request an application form for undertaking research in prisons from the Prison Service. Select one of the following projects and try to complete the form: the nature and extent of self-harm in young offender institutions; illegal drug use in female prisons; staff attitudes to prisoner education. Alternatively look at the Lord Chancellor’s Department website ( research/info.htm), develop a research idea related to the administration of justice within the criminal courts and prepare a letter to the Research Secretariat which provides sufficient information to request access.